Pages


Monday, July 16, 2012

Hoya camphorifolia

Hoya camphorifolia is a gem of a plant.  Easy to root from cuttings, very quick to grow and flower.  It is one of the first Hoyas I ever managed to get to flowering.  I grow this one warm, bringing it inside in fall once the nights drop down consistently into the 50s.  It is also one of the few Hoyas that I actually give true shade to.  Watering is to keep is gently, consistently moist.

If you are familiar with growing orchids, basically this one likes cultural conditions very similar to a Phal.





I bought this as a rooted cutting from SRQ, and it had bloomed for the first time about a year later. Since then, it blooms all summer long for me. The flowers are on the small side, but very cute. I have heard reports that the fragrance is less than desirable, akin to dirty socks, but I have never detected any scent from the flowers.  It is simply a great Hoya, especially for newbies who want something a little different from the carnosa complex.


















Edit - 8/11/12

Here is an updated picture of the whole plant, showing about 10 penduncles blooming or close to blooming at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment